Monday, July 23, 2007

Define: [TRY]

These are the definition of TRY, which i looked out from Cambridge Dictionary Online:

try (ATTEMPT)
verb [I or T]
to attempt to do something:
Keep trying and you'll find a job eventually.
If I don't get into the academy this year, I'll try again next year.

I've tried really hard but I can't persuade him to come.
I'm trying my best/hardest, but I just can't do it.
[+ to infinitive] I tried to open the window.
[+ ing form of verb] Perhaps you should try getting up (= You should get up) earlier in the mornings.
try
noun [C usually singular]
an attempt to do something:
They might just have a place left on the course - why don't you give it/have a try?
This will be her third try at jumping the bar.
You could ask him if he's willing - it's worth a try.
trier
noun [C] APPROVING
someone who tries hard to succeed in what they do, even if they fail:
She's a real trier, I'll give her that.

The interesting thing about it, if u see all the definitions, it always have a positive thing.. people do their best, even though at the end it didn't work out. That's "trying"!

BUT
that's what the dictionary says!

what about the reality?
When people says they'll try, usually it's just a polite way to say, "hey dude, am not interested!"
"I'll try to come" usually means, am not coming.
"I'll try to do it" means, am not gonna do it.
"I'll try.."
"I'll try.."
"I'll try.."

SO,
i found out a TRUE DEFINITION of the word "TRY".

Few days ago,
I watched Oprah Show, and she had an author guest, who was defining what TRY means to him.
TRY or TRYING means: Failing with honor :)

so, just skipped the positive thing that I mentioned above, and just go to the failing part! :)

Come to think about it, itz totally true. When people said they'll try to come, most of them wud never turn out! Worst case is, they never even consider to come on the first place.

So..

TRY

failing with honor
"I'll try to come.." means, "am not coming.."
"I'll try to do it..." means, "am not gonna do it..."

This is totally the true definition! :)

Hmm ... what do you say?

No comments: