Friday, February 02, 2007

Flooding in Jakarta

From a friend, foreigner, a life time experience :)
**************************************

It's been an exciting 24hrs and counting.

As I was about to pack for my trip home last nite, 1.30am, the electricity was down. I thought it'll be ok in the morning, so I decided to pack then as it's too dark in my room to pack.

It was raining the whole day yesterday.

When I woke up today, the whole area around Benhil, behind BRI Nu Skin, which was where my home was, was flooded. Knee-deep to waist high, in most areas.

The electricity is still down.

My local mobile ain't working. (Gotta use my SG line to sms).

Was told some parts of the Toll Road to airport is flooded.

I needed to walk knee-deep to BRI to catch a cab to the airport, if there were cabs to be caught.

Decided to wait for the rain to stop (it was still raining) and the water to subside, before trying for the airport again.

Was in BRI, Nu Skin, waiting out this hopefully once-in-a-life-time experience. (At least there's internet and electricity there.)

It's too late to fly off to Batam now, last ferry is 9pm.

Didn't wanna risk missing the ferry after all the hoo ha.

Called my landlord. Found out that the waters has gotten into my room!

What a day! And it ain't finished!

Will go to the airport tomorrow morning, early, to catch a flight out!

Indonesia! Memorable! That's what you are!

Aiza

1 comment:

Merlyna said...

Memorable! Yes, true.. Indonesia is... !

Apa kabar May? Ternyata dirimu ngeblog juga :)